Language Identifier List up for comments

Tex Texin tex at xencraft.com
Wed Dec 15 20:20:58 CET 2004

Mark,
Whereas I agree that the intended use can vary and hence there can be
disagreement among the user community about how much specificity is needed, the
rules ought to be clear to the people that make the tags.

To my mind, if the detail is important to some, then tell the taggers to tag
the dogs with color distinctions.
If it is too difficult, then tell the taggers color is unimportant, and those
that need color distinction will have to get it another way. At least then the
rules of the road are clear.

However, I have asked the good folks at http://www.bowlingual-translator.com/
to tell me their policy and will report it back here.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, on the web I have no idea how a language tag
that I provide will be used. It may get served to a user with a voice reader,
or some very advanced rendering device where the nuance is valuable. Or it may
be important to a search engine or web service that is munging billions of
items and the detail makes a difference to the results.

Yes, the plausible list is a good starting point. Then we can see if that dog
hunts. ;-)

As for the format of the tables, yes, I have several ideas on how to improve
the layout for usability and to reduce the download time. I don't have the time
to reformat during this week.
tex

Mark Davis wrote:

> > if the experts don't agree on the codes to use,
> > either because the codes are ambiguous or because the decision process is
> so
> > complex
>
> This is really not the point. What does one call a dog? I could refer to it
> at many levels of detail. Animalia: Chordata: Mammalia: Carnivora: Canidae:
> Canis: Familiaris: down to breeds: Working: Herding: Sheepdog: German
> Shepard... (And there is some disagreement on whether it should be Canis
> familiaris or Canis lupes familiaris.) And I might want to distinguish a
> gray German Shepard dog from one with some tan, whereas you might not. Which
> is chosen depends on whether I want to be more or less specific, and make
> distinctions that you may not want to make.
>
> John indicated that the purpose of the list is "plausible" language tags. If
> that is the critera, then without having to do extensive and fairly
> difficult research, I'd say that it is each 639 code alone, then for each
> tag add the combinations of scripts that are used with it. Then for each of
> those tags that have significant speaker populations in different regions,
> add the combinations.
>
> Rather than have an unholy long list, this would be far easier both to use
> and to maintain if composed of two tables:
> language subtag => scripts in use
> language {-script} tag => regions where used
>
> ‎Mark

Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex at XenCraft.com

Making e-Business Work Around the World