New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Sun Dec 12 21:30:03 CET 2004

There is a fundamental misunderstanding on two points.

1. Of course countries go in and out of existence, and change their borders;
nobody disputes that. That is not the stability problem in question; it is
where the meaning of tags changes so drastically as to refer to a completely
different country. One can't willy-nilly change data that has significant
effects on databases all over the world; when someone's birthplace is
indicated by a stored country code, for example, it mustn't suddenly
designate a different country! For more, see
http://www.unicode.org/consortium/positions.html.

2. The fact that the 3066 registry is not in multiple languages (either
currently or in the new draft) has nothing to do with any alleged
discouragement of any language, French included. The names in the registry
are simply to distinguish and identify the subtags, not to provide
recommended localizations.

The registry, and for that matter the ISO 639/3166 standards, are the wrong
place for localization data. The language coverage (only 2!) is a very small
fraction of what is really needed for any real product development -- and
even for those languages that are present, the names used there are not
optimal for user interfaces since they are sometimes not the customary form.
For an example of a data repository that is designed for localization of
language/region names, see http://www.unicode.org/cldr/.

‎Mark