Charset name length(s)

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 13 08:16:55 CET 2004

Hi -

I think the expression "putting the cart before the horse" applies.

Since there is already an aliasing mechanism in use in the
file you cite, it's a stretch to think that the character set name would
prevent the definition of a "cs*" alias that would fit within the
limits of what MIB compilers are permitted to support, or the
(shorter!) limit given in the IANA file.  A more fundamental
question would be why there would be any point to creating
a charset name to go with one of these imaginary long names.

Randy