Ietf-languages Digest, Vol 24, Issue 5

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sat Dec 11 17:59:32 CET 2004

Gentlemen,
I see several points discussed here which are/are not of the same order and
seem confusing the issue.

1. the discussion creeps from Harald's RFC 3066 to Multilingual Internet.
It seems strange to discuss byte oriented details without having first a
Multilingual framework telling what is the scope of the discussion and its
implications (which are certainly major) on the whole Internet
architecture. I submit that an IAB guidance is first necessary. Before
going any further a true WG-Multilingualism should be created and open to
everyone (a private IETF-Language lists should be an interim situation
towards such a WG)

2. I see quoted "RFC 3066bis" as a document. The RFC Editor seems to ignore
that RFC? Where can I find it?

3. there are at least four different levels:

- what is Multilingualism vs. vernacularism (there are 6000 human languages
but a standard should be able to support non scripted and computer
generated and past languages, what may lead to millions of references).

- vernacular granularity has nothing to do with geography and countries.
The way this inserts into the general digital convergence (is the IANA the
proper register?). The time relation to other standards which calls for a
kind of "time hierarchy" : a cross standard consistent rule on the way to
support permanence.

- the tag's semantic itself.  This seems manageable from the vairous
exchanges, but calls for a unique comprehensive and maintained  document
for parsers (programs and people having to sort language issues), what is
different from the RFC culture.

- the multilingual (not uni/bilingual) tag description which is necessary
for the different languages accompanying culture/databases to identify the
same language.

IMHO the sub-tag granularity is to match the real life and research
granularity. This does not mean that each tag must be registered but that
each sovereign, authoritative or historical language/cultural oriented
source must be able to register its own sub-tag and to mutually reduce
possible conflicts among themselves (the trade-off is between a standard
which would conflict with reality, and a reality conflict resilient
flexible standard). The same as the IANA is not in the business of defining
countries (Jon Postel, RFC 1591) it should not be in the business of
defining languages.

I also submit that IANA is not the proper place anymore to support such a
Register. Experience shown that IANA (now a function of ICANN) is subject
to controversies in this or in parallel real life areas: ccTLD delegation,
ccTLD entries in the root file, accepted MINC reaction to the Polish non
concerted introduction of Arabic, Russian and Hebraic tables, ICANN
strategy for internationalized rather than multilingual TLDs, etc. I also
submit that UNESCO, MPEG or other standard/cultural organizations involved
in the daily reality (universities, editors, posts, governments,
copyrights, WIPO, etc. etc.) are more concerned and may make their own
standard prevail after an unnecessary and harassing dispute. It seems that
any semantic able to support open sub-tags whatever they originate from, is
useful. Going any further would push in favor of a less and less
[unilingual or internationalized] network centric market against a
market  evolution toward user centric [multilingual/multiulcural] networked
relations [P2P, VoIP, NAT, coreboxes, OPES, etc.].

One of the possibilities of the current IETF administrative reform could be
to give the IETF a structure that could be funded to permit it  to
participate as such into harmonizations negotiations. Due to the importance
of the matter it will most probably be addressed at the WSIS level, since
it is one of its priority. I therefore submit that we forget byte oriented
details for the time being, keep this proposition as a draft and use it to
open a dialog with the WGIG over who should to what with who. We can
certainly wait one year more to have a globally accepted approach which
will save every one a huge amount of time and money.

This dialog is not easy as we have no direct IETF/IAB/IESG representative
there (except Avri who is multilingual, but representing the Civil
Society). But there are enough WGIG members interested in Multilingualism
and technically competent to understand, comment and progress on this file.
These posts and the following URL should given them a comprehensive
understanding of what is at stake.

Draft author's comments: why the draft.
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg00755.html

Text of the Draft:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-phillips-langtags-08.txt

Text of the RFC 3066
http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc3066.txt?number=3066

If there are other links to present, I am interested in collecting them and
in publishing them on various Multilingualism oriented sites.
Thank you.
Jefsey Morfin