New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Sat Dec 11 06:52:01 CET 2004

> The ABNF is an expression of the grammar that
describes the set of all valid tags.

No, this is simply incorrect. You cannot expect that any implementation that
simply does the ABNF is conformant. There are a great many constraints on
the tags that are not in the ABNF grammar, that are clearly required in any
reading of the text. Most of these *cannot* be encompassed in any ABNF
grammar. There are a few that could be expressed in the ABNF; some at little
cost, some with a great deal of complication. This is not a technical
problem for the draft.

> as reasonable as the current worst-case of 11 octets.
Also simply untrue. You seem not to be reading all the messages on this
subject. Look at the ABNF for RFC 3066. There is *no* limit in the ABNF
there!

"
   The syntax of this tag in ABNF [RFC 2234] is:

    Language-Tag = Primary-subtag *( "-" Subtag )

    Primary-subtag = 1*8ALPHA

    Subtag = 1*8(ALPHA / DIGIT)
"

-- http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3066.txt?number=3066