sl-rozaj-lipa LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Oct 15 01:11:13 CEST 2003

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

>> English name of language   : Lipavac (sub-)dialect, Lipovaz
>> (sub-)dialect

> I have one concern in regard to this request: is it possible that at
> some point in the future we'll want a tag to denote IPA transcription
> as a sub-variety of Latin (I think it's needed)? Assuming yes, is
> there a chance that we might want to use a 4-letter tag of lipa for
> this? If so, then I wouldn't want to see lipa also used to denote a
> sub-dialectal variety of some language.
>
> We could side-step the question of a tag for IPA transcription at this
> point if the tag for this request was revised to something lik
>
> sl-rozaj-lipawski

I suggest sl-rozaj-lipv as an alternative.  It stays with Han's pattern
of assigning 4-character subtags, and by avoiding the 'a', it is neutral
between the names "Lipavac" and "Lipovaz."

Of course, if 4-letter subtags are to be discouraged as a matter of
policy for fear of colliding with script tags (now or in the future),
then all of Han's subtags except -1994 will have to be revised anyway.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/