Proposed Successor to RFC 3066 (language tags)

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 26 22:24:12 CET 2003

Hi -

The "will be" makes it sound like a "pig in a poke" to me.
It would be much better to know exactly what we'd be getting.

> such as geographical mapping, history, demographics etc.  Although the full
> database will also be freely available for research purposes online for use
> by the general public and industry alike.  I hope this clarifies the
> situation and that Linguasphere now has your sympathy.

The "will be" is what bothers me.

I have no problem with IETF work referring to recognized standards that
must be purchased.  I've spent enough time in ISO / ITU -land to
recognize the value of the work there.  What bothers me is that the
suggestion seems to be that a particular company's work be accepted
"as-is", without community review.  If that is indeed what is proposed,
then Linguasphere does have my sympathy, though perhaps not in
the sense you intended.  If the proposal is something else, e.g., that
this company is making a contribution to the relevant working group,
it might be helpful to make that clear, rather than writing "Linguasphere
ICT are developing ISO 639-6."

Randy