Proposed Successor to RFC 3066 (language tags)

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 15:18:20 CET 2003

just to let you know... ISO are cleaning up their act... and they/we are
cleaning it up pretty fast...

Linguasphere ICT are developing ISO 639-6.  In a nutshell, 639-6 will bring
all the IS0 639 family together.  We will be proposing unique alpha4 codes
for each individual language/dialect.  Further proposals are scheduled for
May 2004 with regard to the dating of languages/dialects and a structuring
code.  Linguasphere ICT has also related each language to its hierachical
mother via the alpha4 coding system; in excess of 25,000 languages and
dialects have already been coded in this way.(you might note I am not a
linguist but am more computer orientated).

As far as I am aware, SIL are on track with 639-3, indeed a draft CD has
been circulated for comments by end Dec 2003.  I am sure Havard will respond
on this with schedules.

Linguasphere ICT will publish proposals on the web as soon as they are ready
(www.linguasphere.com) Please bear with us as the site is currently being
re-designed.

We would very much welcome your input on this important extension of the ISO
639 family.

Kind regards

Debbie Garside
Project Leader for BS8639