Ambiguity (Announcing draft-langtags-phillips-davis-00.txt)

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Sun Nov 16 20:34:41 CET 2003

The world "potential" would be a good addition (unfortunately, we already
submitted the 01 version, so it'll have to wait a bit).

There is still a problem, because there is nothing in those standards (nor in
ISO 4217) that guarantees stability, nor in the ISO policies and procedures. The
respective registration authorities have it within their power to destabilize
their codes at any time; and since we have seen it happen at least once with at
least one very important standard, it doesn't really leave us with warm and
fuzzy feelings.

This is not to say that the RAs would -- and we certainly know of responsible
people and organizations who would never take such steps. But who's to say that
their successors would not? We need something much more than "they haven't done
it yet" -- that attitude left us wide open for the change in CS!

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
► शिष्यादिच्छेत्पराजयम् ◄