Language Tag Registrations

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sat May 31 21:21:31 CEST 2003

Marion Gunn scripsit:

> Dear "IANA" <iana at iana.org>, we wish to ask whether the following is a
> legitimate question for your registry, which people here believe it is:

Why don't you enquire of the President of Ireland while you are at it?

> >What, then, is the code for the English of 'Northern Ireland'?
> >(GB+NI=UK.)

There is at present no such code.  There are many language varieties
which have no code at present.  If one is wanted, someone must propose
one, its merits will be discussed, and eventually it will be approved
and registered, or not approved.

> Is Basque separately 'lang-tagged' for ES and FR?

No, but it could be if etc. etc.

> We ask, because we do not know, and if you do not know either, that is
> okay, and we wish you well in bringing all queries to harmonious
> conclusions, if possible.

This is the royal "we", I suppose?  (All Irish people are notoriously
descended from kings.)

--
Some people open all the Windows;       John Cowan
wise wives welcome the spring           jcowan at reutershealth.com
by moving the Unix.                     http://www.reutershealth.com
  --ad for Unix Book Units (U.K.)       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        (see http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/unix3image.gif)