Counting Heads

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Fri May 30 09:47:28 CEST 2003

There are an indefinite number of ways one can interpret to "handle"
RFC 3066

isValidRFC3066(String possibleRFC3066name)

en-US => true
en-scouse => true
en-US-Davis => false
Mark-Davis => false
x-Mark-Davis => true

startsWithRFC3066(String possibleRFC3066name)

en-US => true
en-scouse => true
en-US-Davis => true
Mark-Davis => false
x-Mark-Davis => true

getDisplayName(String RFC3066name, String inRFC3066name)

en, en => English
fr, en => French
fr, fr => français
fr, en => anglais
en_US, en => English (US)
en_US, fr => anglais (États-Unis)
Mark-Davis, en => Mark-Davis // return code if no display name
available
OR
Mark-Davis, en => ERROR // throw exception if not isValidRFC3066

NOTE: we've found it much better to just return the input string if we
don't have a display name; otherwise code doesn't handle new
registrations gracefully.

[cf
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/lx/en_US/utf-8/?_=fr&SHOWCountries=1&SHOWLanguages=1]

getDocumentsMatching(String pattern, String inRFC3066name)
openSpellCheckerFor(String RFC3066name)
// typically will only return a spell checker for a fraction of the
possible languages.

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
►  “Eppur si muove” ◄