Counting Heads

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed May 28 09:30:23 CEST 2003

Jon Hanna scripsit:

> Really good fun would be en-brai-lit-US-scouse (since someone writing in
> en-brai-lit-US is unlikely to change script if they quote some en-scouse).

I'd be inclined to say en-scouse-brai-lit-us, since "en-scouse" is a
language variety.  It is not obvious to a computer that this breaks up
as LanguageProper-Script-NationalOrthography, but it does just the same.

For the record, when we get to 3066bis, I suggest we allow these
nine combinations productively:

	639
	639-Eth
	639-Script
	639-Eth-Script
	639-3166
	639-Eth-3166
	639-Script-3166
	639-Eth-Script-3166
	x-whatever

and require review of everything else.  Some of this will become moot
if/when Ethnologue is adopted as 639-3 or if Ethnologue becomes code
compatible with 639-2.

--
With techies, I've generally found              John Cowan
If your arguments lose the first round          http://www.reutershealth.com
    Then you generally can                      jcowan at reutershealth.com
Make the same stupid point seem profound!           --Jonathan Robie