Timetable for action: May 31 is suggested

Peter_Constable at sil.org Peter_Constable at sil.org
Wed May 28 00:28:18 CEST 2003

Sean M. Burke wrote on 05/27/2003 10:07:17 PM:

> At 01:29 AM 2003-05-28 +0100, Michael Everson wrote:
> >>would be to have something else like two separate entities, each
> >>specified in a separate RFC, one of which is RFC 3066.
> >>        lang=lan
> >>         script=Scrip
> >Yes, I had suggested that a long time ago. Apparently this will fail
> >because current imlementations want to conflate script within language
tags.

> The only expression I saw of this "lang=X, script=Y" notion was one where

> one said "Accept-Language: uk, ru, sr, fr, it, zh" and then
"Accept-Script:
> cyrl, latn, hans" and somehow it gets figured out by elfin magic whether
> the user wants his Serbian in Cyrllic, Latin, or Han Simplified.

It seems to me that you or somebody pointed out this problem a while ago,
in which case I'm wondering why it didn't succeed in putting the nail into
the coffin for the idea of keeping language and script separate. I hope it
does so now.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485