LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Peter_Constable at sil.org Peter_Constable at sil.org
Fri May 23 21:54:10 CEST 2003

Michael Everson wrote on 05/22/2003 03:23:47 PM:

> I am beginning to think that it was a great mistake to encode
> yi-Latn. It appears indeed to have opened the gates to a great
> dumping ground of fixes for underspecifed software...

That's not a particularly helpful argument.

> Now we're looking at a whole
> lot of duplicate language codes conflating this stuff.

sr-Cyrl constitutes a whole lot of duplicate language codes?

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote on 05/11/2003 01:41:40 PM:

> Given such a situation, I see good reason to allow both "sr-Cyrl" and
> "sr-Latn" to be registered...

As I've been reading through catching up, I haven't seen anybody object to
the general idea; the only concerns have been on certain particular
requests, such as sr-cyrl.

> Mark, Addision, you guys go talk to Peter Constable, Peter Edberg,
> Ken Whistler, Rick McGowan, John Cowan and whomever else you like.
> I'll meet Ken and Rick in Baltimore before the UTC and they can talk
> to me about consensus.
>
> Right now I feel that we have NO consensus

That isn't what I'm seeing. On the contrary, I see everybody accepting the
general idea of lang-script tags except that you are reconsidering; I see
no objection whatsoever to most of the tags Mark requested; on certain
requests I have seen a few express concern. Perhaps there isn't consensus
on the use of defaults or on how dominant something has to be to be
handled as a default, but that's it.

Like Addison, it's not clear to me why several of Mark's requests have not
already been approved. I can certainly understand wanting to tread
carefully in what is still a new direction, but I think there is consensus
re the general idea on the part of everyone who has expressed an opinion
except perhaps for the Reviewer himself. Let's just take a big breath and
take the plunge.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485