Encoding scripts in tags: evil or just unpleasant?

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Fri May 23 08:21:23 CEST 2003

It appears that the main issue is the 'default'. I really find it very
hard to understand Michael's objections.

1. RFD 3066 provides for differences in written form, and script is a
huge difference; far, far more different than between British and
American spelling, or between German pre 1996 and post.

2. Michael keeps talking about duplicate encodings, but as many people
have pointed out, they are not duplicates. We have very much an
analogous situation now:

en means any English
en-US means English as used in the US
en-CA means English as used in Canada
etc.

All of these are already in RFC 3066 right now, even as we speak. The
vast majority of software uses US English as the default for en. By
Michael's logic, that would mean that "en" equals "en-US". But of
course, they are not duplicates: "any English" is not equal to
"English as used in the US", and nobody considers these duplicates.

3. Moreover, there are many circumstances for the use of language
codes where there is *no* notion of a default (see
http://eikenes.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2003-May/000986.html).

4. And in many cases any default is arbitrary: Azeri has no obvious
default, as in
http://eikenes.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2003-May/000987.html.

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com