FW: LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORMS

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Thu May 1 15:39:31 CEST 2003

Both Serbs I asked have been ex-pats for quite awhile. They expressed that
Serbian can be written in both, but they felt that Cyrillic was now
predominate or becoming so---that one would write Serbian in Cyrillic.
Neither was adamant about excluding Latin script and both volunteered that
you can write Serbian perfectly well in Latin. One has been writing email in
Latin--the other had me help him some months ago install Cyrillic support
and show him how to fake out Hotmail... so I guess my sample is 50/50, eh?

The Croat I asked was much more adamant than either about the script
distinction.

I'm not in a position to judge relative merits of any of their opinions,
except to note that a Croat probably doesn't know. Someone on the ground is
more likely to give a useful interpretation. One of the problems here is
that it is hard to tell if the script distinctions are transitional,
permanent, and how they're evolving. Logically, countries like Bosnia, with
diverse speaker populations, are likelier to exhibit cross-script behavior,
but again I really don't know that. For all I know Serbia itself maintains
different writing traditions.

Addison