John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Tue Jun 17 15:01:01 CEST 2003

Peter_Constable at sil.org scripsit:

> An observation: if we made it four letters, or if we followed Jon's
> suggestion, then that would have implications for incorporating ISO 15924
> into RFC 3066bis: it we *don't* do it, then a new RFC could potentially
> contain a statement to the effect, "Any alpha-4 subtag is interpreted
> according to ISO 15924."

I favor this position, and would be in favor of using the rule as you state
it as a convention until RFC 3066 can be revised.

At present we appear to have no registered tags that violate it, assuming
that Hant and Hans are de facto ISO 15924 codes.

John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
Assent may be registered by a signature, a handshake, or a click of a computer
mouse transmitted across the invisible ether of the Internet. Formality
is not a requisite; any sign, symbol or action, or even willful inaction,
as long as it is unequivocally referable to the promise, may create a contract.
       --_Specht v. Netscape_