Dealing with unnecessary activities [Re: Address of ISO 3166 mailing list]

John Clews Scripts2 at
Wed Jun 4 18:51:26 CEST 2003

In message <p05200a0ebb02b900bc3f@[]> Michael Everson writes:

> I am sure that the ISO 3166 maintenance agency will reply indicating
> that it would be inadvisable to do so. Ireland has a 3166 two-letter
> code, IE, which is entirely satisfactory for the purposes assigned to
> it, such as in internet domain names. I expect that the reason UK was
> "reserved" was because the internet domain names were already using
> it instead of GB, and by reserving it one potential confusion might
> be avoided.

That was indeed exactly the reason.

> I have already noted that "baggage-handling at international
> airports" does not constitute an implementation of EI any more than
> it does of IE, except in the accident that the two-letter airline
> code EI refers to Aer Lingus. It takes some expertise to know the
> difference between a country code, a language code, and an airline
> code, but it doesn't take very much.

The use of both EI and IE would be extremely confusing.

I would agrue against it.

Marion - it must be extremely clear to you by now that
members of this list are clearly _not_ interested in these

Why don't you just pursue them elsewhere? Or just forget them?

I - and many others - are feeling that we are wasting time on
things which are not the subject of this list.

I'm now begining to resent this additional drain on my time.

John Clews

John Clews,
Keytempo Limited (Information Management),
8 Avenue Rd, Harrogate, HG2 7PG
Tel:    +44 1423 888 432
mobile: +44 7766 711 395
Email:  Scripts2 at

Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20: Internationalization;
Committee Member of ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1: Language Codes