Northern Ireland

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Jun 3 12:15:19 CEST 2003

At 12:41 +0100 2003-06-03, Marion Gunn wrote:
>Peter_Constable at sil.org said:
>  > UK is "exceptionally reserved" in ISO 3166
>
>Can the same be said of EI (for Ireland)?

Of course not.

>'EI' being generally better known than 'IE',

No, it isn't.

>witness baggage-handling at international airports (the former tag
>being based on the Irish name of our country, the latter on the
>English).

This isn't true at all. International airports use three-letter codes
to identify themselves: DUB is Dublin, for instance; country codes
are not used in baggage handling. If you have seen "EI" it is because
this identifies "Aer Lingus" as a carrier. Other Irish carriers have
different two-letter codes. Also, it happens to be the case that
Irish aircraft registration numbers have the code "EI".