LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM (Newspeak)

Martin Duerst duerst at w3.org
Sun Jun 1 14:43:30 CEST 2003

At 17:59 03/06/01 +0100, Michael Everson wrote:
>At 19:48 +0300 2003-06-01, Thor Kottelin wrote:
>>  > As far as I can see, "doublethink" is an English word
>>
>>Agreed. Since English Newspeak is a variant of English, I am suggesting it
>>be tagged "en-newspeak", not "i-newspeak".
>
>Naming a language and making a dozen words up does not a language make.
>Are you suggesting the following?

Hello Michael,

I agree with you on the evaluation of this proposal.

><lang="en">Many people would just call what he says
></lang><lang="en-newspeak">doublethink</lang><lang="en">, but I think it's
>rather clever.</lang>

However, it would be very helpful if you learned some little details
about how the language tags we discuss here are used, and improve
your HTML/XML syntax. The above sentence, marked up as it's own
paragraph, in HTML would look as follows:

it's rather clever.</p>

The main points:

- There is no 'lang' element.
- Element names don't take attribute values, only attributes do.
- Element can be nested, and each lang attribute applies to
   the extent of its element.

Regards,   Martin.