Suggestion: Tag or Sub- tag for Scientific names

Martin Duerst duerst at w3.org
Mon Feb 3 14:12:46 CET 2003

At 12:28 03/02/03 -0600, Peter_Constable at sil.org wrote:

>True, though it's not an unreasonable question to ask whether that's the
>most sensible solution if we've got some set of terminology that is
>pan-linguistic, e.g. spelled the same across languages.

We could then use the same dictionary add-on for all these languages, maybe?

>(or perhaps
>standard Latin pronunciations are acceptable to any audience)

In school, I have learned what I thought was the standard Latin
pronunciation. Later on, I learned that there are quite some
differences in different countries (e.g. Germany vs. France)
on how Latin is pronounced, so there may be no standard
pronunciation (which doesn't mean that e.g. in English the
pronunciation of such terms wouldn't be different from the
pronunciations in other cases).

Regards,   Martin.