Proposed Successor to RFC 3066 (language tags)

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Dec 6 08:19:56 CET 2003

There are also situations in which less specific tags can be useful. For
instance, while certain distinctions may be linguistically valid, a
platform vendor might not want to support a large number of distinctions
when resources can be shared in common, or present many
finely-differentiated choices to confuse users.

That's not to say that inexplicit tags are better in all situations...

> Sub-language tag registration really bothers me, though. A glance at
the
> IANA registry shows a large-ish number of tags that were registered
and
> then
> deprecated because ISO639 recognized them as full-fledged languages
later
> (whatever *that* means)...

Once we have ISO 639-3, perhaps this will be less of an issue --
assuming the RFC gets updated to incorporate that -- because many/most
of these kinds of distinctions that will be of most interest will be
available without registration. (Speaking of part 3, I need to get back
to work on that...)

> If 'zh' is generic Chinese (whatever
> that
> is),

Whatever that is, that is what zh must be.

Peter Constable