RFC3066 bis: use of local codes

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Dec 6 01:39:30 CET 2003

The draft says that re the "local" (private-use) codes in ISO 639-2,
"These codes should be used for non-registered language subtags."

Similarly, re 15924 it says, " ISO 15924 reserves the codes Qaaa-Qtzz
for private use values. These codes should be used for non-registered
script values."

These statements are not at all clear to me. It sounds like people have
license to use, say,

xml:lang="qka"
xml:lang="qka-Qdej"
xml:lang="en-Qdej"

It also sounds like they should use things like this rather than
"x-qka", "x-qka-Qdej" etc. But I'm not sure if it's meaning that or not.
It's also not clear whether "en-Qdej" is allowable or not.

Initially, I thought there was a typo, and that was had been intended
was to say that these should not be used. I think we could avoid some
confusion and headaches if we did not allow their use, with the
exception that anything is allowed to follow a primary subtag of "x-".

Peter

Peter Constable
Microsoft Windows Division