RFC3066 bis: use of ISO 639-1

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Dec 6 01:05:10 CET 2003

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Michael Everson

> So much for international standards? I have misgivings.

I'm not at all suggesting we abandon international standards; only that
we restrict in very explicit ways our use of one particular
international standard, ISO 639-1. Not because that standard isn't any
good, but because we are also using a different, alternate standard, ISO
639-2, and because there are some concerns about how differences in
coverage between them can create problems for us.

Peter

Peter Constable
Microsoft Windows Division