FW: LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORMS

Sean M. Burke sburke at cpan.org
Wed Apr 30 22:45:33 CEST 2003

At 10:34 PM 2003-04-30 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>Michael Everson scripsit:
> > I rejected yi-Hebr because it was the default. Peter Edberg proposed
> > that we devise a table of defaults.
>Hebrew script is *overwhelmingly* the default for Yiddish.  No such
>overwhelming default exists for Azeri.

My view precisely.  Similarly, it would be spurious to merely state that
Serb is in Cyrillic in the same way that Yiddish is in Hebrew script, and
in the same way that French is in Latin script.  I think there's bit of a
difference between the last two, but most importantly a massive difference
between Serb:Cyrillic and the other two.
Just saying default-default-default is unfair to the data.

--
Sean M. Burke    http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/