OS X 10.2.4 non-standard & unconstitutional

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh at sharif.edu
Wed Apr 16 14:57:10 CEST 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Marion Gunn wrote:

> Irish objectors to that non-standard
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Who defines the standards in language tags? IETF of course. When you refer
to something non-standard, you need to mention explicitly which standard
you are referring to, and add the text about that part so people can make
sure it is reall non-standard.

> and unconstitutional langtag
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IETF langtags cannot be unconstitutional. There is no IETF constitution.

> are being told it was chosen by and/or given the IETF stamp of approval

What you are talking about ("Ireland, Irish" description in Mac OS X) was
not chosen by and/or given the IETF stamp of approval ever. It is Mac
specific. It has no relation to IETF.

> an IETF-appointed langtag reviewer,
  ^^
There is only one. You should use "the" instead of "an", I guess. I guess
you know the guy. He's named Michael Everson. And no, he hasn't approved
such a name ever in relation to IETF.

> which (unless that claim is bogus) makes its chain of responsibility go
> back directly to IETF/IANA.

No. The correct phrase is: "which makes it certain that you really need to
read the archives of a mailing list and its relative references before you
post to a list."

roozbeh