OS X 10.2.4 non-standard & unconstitutional

Marion Gunn mgunn at egt.ie
Tue Apr 15 16:35:56 CEST 2003

Jo Wilkes <jwilkes at metabit.com> in response to Mark Crispin <MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU>
> I tried to make the connection by pointing out that, in my opinion,
> the entry Marion was referring to did not belong in any of the
> categories where standards exist. (So there isn't a standard this entry
> could violate.) These system preferences are usually "locales". And
> "locales" are a topic already covered by
> certain recent postings.
>
> Jo
Jo,
Irish objectors to that non-standard and unconstitutional langtag are
being told it was chosen by and/or given the IETF stamp of approval by
an IETF-appointed langtag reviewer, which (unless that claim is bogus)
makes its chain of responsibility go back directly to IETF/IANA.
mg

Marion Gunn * E G T (Estab.1991) vox: +353-1-2839396 * mgunn at egt.ie
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn; Baile an Bhóthair; Contae Átha Cliath; Éire

Here, with spelling amended, is the full text of the objection:

"OS X 10.2.4 System Preferences currently reads 'Ireland (English) and
Ireland (Gaelic)', an expression which is unusual, non-standard and
unconstitutional.

OS X 10.2.4 System Preferences should read 'Ireland (English) and Ireland
(Irish)'.

'Irish' being the standard English name for our language, and the only such
allowed by the Irish Constitution, I ask that an error of that magnitude
(same as using 'Scandinavian' for 'Swedish' or 'Norwegian' national/legal
language names) be rectified as a matter of priority."