What a Locale is.... (Re: [Fwd]: Response to Mark's message])

Peter_Constable at sil.org Peter_Constable at sil.org
Tue Apr 15 10:04:27 CEST 2003

Jon Hanna wrote on 04/15/2003 08:41:36 AM:

> > You're assuming that we can create a model involving new metadata
> > categories, and get support for these incorporated into various
systems,
> > such as the HTTP protocol and HTTP servers. But wasn't that already
> > discussed in this thread, with the conclusion that the likelihood of
> > success in that was very low? (I seem to recall that comment being
made,
> > but perhaps I'm mistaken. I guess I could review the archive to find
> > out...)
>
> Changing the meaning of current headers in a manner that isn't
completely
> backwards-compatible would have an even greater need for rapid adoption.

I don't see how the proposal to incorporate scripts into RFC3066(bis) is
changing the meaning of current headers in a manner that isn't completely
backwards compatible. It seems to me it is the very issue of backwards
compatibility that forces us to do exactly what is being proposed. And
given that there are existing uses of RFC3066 tags for differentiation of
textual forms (e.g. what is most often being distinguished by en-US versus
en-GB is spelling, not vocabulary), then it seems that it would be a
proposal to put anything related to variations in textual form into a
separate metadata category that would be changing the meaning of current
headers in a significant and non-backwards-compatible manner.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485