Azeri [Re: LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM]

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Tue Apr 15 07:08:10 CEST 2003

John Clews scripsit:

> There is also the need to say what various "shortest possible forms"
> are generally used for. For example, does az alone generally mean:
> (a) Azerbaijani in general, and also
> (b) Azerbaijani, in Cyrillic script, in Azerbaijan, which has been
>     its predominant use for all of the twentieth century?

I would understand "az" to mean "Azeri in general".  Particular systems
might infer something in addition, but that would be a purely local
interpretation and not necessarily interoperable.

> And what would be the expectation of an HTML page which just listed
> az as a language code, and didn't supply any character set
> information, but just used an 8-bit single byte character set?

The expectation would be that the text would be in Azeri.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan at ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There