Azeri needs [Re: LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM]

John Clews Scripts2 at sesame.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 23:41:10 CEST 2003

Roozbeh Pournader writes:
> > > I live in Iran and consider myself an expert in these. I've never heard
> > > about Iranian Azeri written in Cyrillic or Latin. But Azerbaijani Azeri
> > > has been written in Arabic historically.

I can vouch for that. See the useful language articles in Azerbaijan
International 3 or 4 years ago. There was a revival of it in
Azerbaijan around the turn of the twentietch century.

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0304120044490.26814-100000 at gilas.bamdad.org>
Roozbeh Pournader writes:

> Old Azerbaijani Azeri and Modern Iranian Azeri? I am sure they do.
> Definitely they use different words for technological stuff. Simply since
> one is a modern language and another an old one.

So there's a logical reason for
az-Arab-AZ and
az-Arab-IR then.

Based on historical use.

In that case, why keep resisting
az-Latn-AZ and
az-Latn-IR then?

Obviously, there's a need to decide the what is denoted by the
"default" of
az-Latn without -AZ attached

Here's 2 historical uses which would allow for differences:

az-Latn -- current use in Azerbaijan
az-Latn-AZ former use in transcriptions etc. from historical writings
among scholars, or in library transliterations from Azerbaijani in
Arabic script.

That may or may not fit the examples Mark has in mind though.

Due to the late hour I've probably put tags in the wrong positions,
but you get my drift ...

Best regards

John Clews

--
John Clews,
Keytempo Limited (Information Management),
Email:  Scripts2 at sesame.demon.co.uk
Web:    http://www.keytempo.com

Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20: Internationalization;
Committee Member of ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1: Language Codes