LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Peter_Constable at sil.org Peter_Constable at sil.org
Mon Apr 14 15:15:59 CEST 2003

> > > I live in Iran and consider myself an expert in these. I've never
heard
> > > about Iranian Azeri written in Cyrillic or Latin. But Azerbaijani
Azeri
> > > has been written in Arabic historically.
> >
> > And are the language varieties distinguishable when written in the
Arabic
> > script?
>
> Old Azerbaijani Azeri and Modern Iranian Azeri? I am sure they do.
> Definitely they use different words for technological stuff. Simply since
> one is a modern language and another an old one.

Note, for comparison: Ethnologue distinguishes between "North Azerbaijani",
with primary communities in Azerbaijan and Armenia; and "South
Azerbaijani", with primary communities in Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria
and Turkey.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485