"Logic" for describing IPA as a script

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Fri Apr 11 14:31:28 CEST 2003

Michael Everson scripsit:

> We give script codes to scripts. I can write out any number of texts
> and you would be unable to determine whether it was IPA or Latin
> until some stray letter wandered in.

If they are short enough.  By the same token, I can write a short enough
text and you can't determine whether it is en, fr, or th-latn.  But
for texts of reasonable length, there is usually no room for doubt
whether it is IPA or Americanist or a standard orthography.

John Cowan        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan          jcowan at reutershealth.com
Please leave your values        |       Check your assumptions.  In fact,
   at the front desk.           |          check your assumptions at the door.
     --sign in Paris hotel      |            --Cordelia Vorkosigan