LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Apr 10 23:01:53 CEST 2003

At 13:13 -0700 2003-04-10, Mark Davis wrote:
>  > An even more general concern: Is there anything in az-latn-az that
>>  is different from az-latn (and same for Cyrillic)? In other words,
>>  do we need az-latn-az (and similar for uz and sp) at all?
>
>I know of at least one prominent system that distinguishes them in practice,
>so we (ICU) need to maintain that distinction.

*THAT* kind of statement is not good enough for me. These are
language tags. If there is no difference between az-Latn and
az-Latn-AZ then two tags will not be registered. If ICU is broken,
you must fix it. I do not want us to kludge 3066 or 15924 to cater
for the difficulties of particular implementations.

(I like ICU, but I find it clumsy and difficult to navigate and hard
to file bugs for and my biggest worry is that there is no information
about the authority for any of its entries.)