[Fwd]: Response to Mark's message]

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Apr 10 08:23:56 CEST 2003

Michael Everson scripsit:

> IPA is a special use of Latin, but it's still Latin.

Perhaps what is needed is a notion of "script subsets", which would
include Hans, Hant, and Ipal.  In this way we could clearly discriminate
between, say, English in ordinary orthography (en) and in IPA transcription
(en-ipal).

> >The only difference between the English alphabet and the pig-pen
> >(aka Masonic) cipher is the "conventional shapes used for many
> >characters).
>
> But not a reform *of* the writing system. :-)

Well, I hope not.  :-)

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan at ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There