[Fwd]: Response to Mark's message]

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Apr 9 18:03:50 CEST 2003

Michael Everson scripsit:

> Only because I'm not convinced that everyone is satisfied with Hant/Hans.

What would it take to convince you?  (This is not a rhetorical question.)
To my mind, they are clearly distinct, and the fact that there are overlapping
ideographs is no more important than that A is valid in Greek, Latin, and
Cyrillic.  (Han unification and alphabetic non-unification in Unicode
shouldn't affect the issue.)  My only question was whether they should be
called separate scripts, in which case "Hani" becomes an alias for a
collection, or whether they are called script variants.

John Cowan                              jcowan at reutershealth.com
http://www.reutershealth.com            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Humpty Dump Dublin squeaks through his norse
                Humpty Dump Dublin hath a horrible vorse
But for all his kinks English / And his irismanx brogues
                Humpty Dump Dublin's grandada of all rogues.  --Cousin James