Script codes in RFC 3066

Sean M. Burke sburke at cpan.org
Wed Apr 9 12:22:58 CEST 2003

At 4/9/2003 11:43 AM -0500, Peter_Constable at sil.org wrote:
>For instance, it has been suggested that Martha's Vineyard sign could be
>distinguished from ASL by an additional subtag, sgn-US-mvinyrd (or
>whatever) versus sgn-US, but then notice that the language-range /
>accept-language mechanism would mean that a request for sgn-US could
>result in sgn-US-mvinyrd content being returned -- I wouldn't expect HTTP
>servers to be written to special-case a tag like sgn-US-mvinyrd to make it
>appear opague to the accept-language algorithm.

Mercifully, such cases are relatively rare, in actual usage of XX versus
XX-YY tags.  I.e., most things currently labelled in XX are at
understandable to people who say they understand XX-YY, and most things
currently labelled in XX-YY are understandable to people who say they
understand XX.

--
Sean M. Burke  sburke at cpan.org  http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/