[Fwd]: Response to Mark's message]

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Apr 9 15:56:01 CEST 2003

Martin Duerst scripsit:

> In effect, 'orthography' could go as far as including things such as
> number formatting or date formatting, and maybe even sorting.

The trouble is that it's not even clear that numbers and dates are tied
to the language or not.  I want my documents spell-checked as en-us,
but I like ISO dates rather than bogus American ones.  Must I set my
"locale" to Japanese?

In addition, collation is not really a data property, it genuinely is a
user property.  If I'm looking at Danish names, I want them collated in
English order, not Danish order, or I'm never going to be able to find anything.

--
John Cowan  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com  jcowan at reutershealth.com
"'My young friend, if you do not now, immediately and instantly, pull