[Fwd]: Response to Mark's message]

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Apr 9 14:33:00 CEST 2003

Addison Phillips [wM] scripsit:

> That might be okay, but leads inexorably back to the problem Mark and I
> sketched here the other day:

> Accept-Locale: de-DE
>
> Now what do I do?

You should send back a PDF written in the Japanese of Japan (as distinct from
the kind of Japanese they speak in Rwanda), but formatted for DIN paper sizes
rather than JIS ones.  :-)

In other words, there are going to be combinations that make no sense.
What are you to do with text that is language-tagged nv-DK, or the
locale ja_RW.8859-1?

Basically I agree, though, that if time zone and collation are filtered out,
and since character classification is no longer appropriate for localization,
then the language and locale concepts can be merged, as the Founders intended.

--
Real FORTRAN programmers can program FORTRAN    John Cowan
in any language.  --Allen Brown                 jcowan at reutershealth.com