Script codes in RFC 3066

Peter_Constable at sil.org Peter_Constable at sil.org
Wed Apr 9 11:55:14 CEST 2003

John Cowan wrote on 04/07/2003 10:21:31 AM:

> In this scheme, a language is encoded by either an ISO 639 tag or an ISO
> 639 tag followed by an Ethnologue tag.

Preferable, in my mind, is that ISO 639-3 be completed and provide the
comprehensive coverage available in the Ethnologue, and that RFC3066bis
then reference part 3 of ISO 639 as well as parts 1 and 2.

> An orthography is encoded by an ISO 3166-1
> country code.

Spelling conventions sometimes correlate with countries, but not always,
though where a country code isn't appropriate a one-off IANA registration
is appropriate (as was done in the case of de-1996 etc).

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485