Script codes in RFC 3066, 4 issues

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Wed Apr 9 08:06:42 CEST 2003

This scheme looks good to me.

1. One small quibble:

> A writing system is encoded by
> an ISO 15924 script code.  An orthography is encoded by an ISO 3166-1

The term writing system is often contrasted with script. There is no need to
identify them; it is simpler to always use script:

"A script is encoded by an ISO 15924 script code."

2. Shortest form

> Specifically, a language is encoded by the shortest of the following
> four sequences:

There are compatibility issues with this both ISO 639 codes and Ethnologue
codes are growing; a "shortest" code may change over time, which makes my
use of a code now legal, tomorrow illegal. (E.g., a new ISO 639 code
subsumes an Ethnologue code.) There are two possibilities:

A. Restrict both the ISO codes and Ethnologue codes so that no new
combinations are shorter than an older combination. Politically, I suspect
the chances of this, the nicest tack, approach nil.

B. Allow non-shortest forms (but keep the shortest form restriction on ISO
639 codes), but provide a table of equivalancies somewhere (not necessarily
associated with 3066bis). Not as nice, but politically feasible.

3. For compatibility, also we need that once a 3066bis code, forever a
3066bis code. That is, even if the Ethnologue or ISO remove/deprecate a
code, that code is remains forever valid for use in a 3066bis subtag.

4. As now, any strings would be compared case insensitive. However,
customarily the casing would be en-foo-Cryl-CH.

Mark
(مرقص بن داود)
________
mark.davis at jtcsv.com
IBM, MS 50-2/B11, 5600 Cottle Rd, SJ CA 95193
(408) 256-3148
fax: (408) 256-0799