[Fwd]: Response to Mark's message]

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Fri Apr 4 13:00:16 CEST 2003

Thanks for your comments.

1. I rather like your idea of using zh.hant; we should test it out on
various software.

2. Your talk at the Prague conference would be very good for background; is
it posted somewhere that people on this list can get to?

Back to your original message:

> 3. IMO, locales are not attributes of data structures. They are more
> like attributes of the processing environment. This is  why I chose to
> use URN syntax: a URN can be the value of an attribute, but the more
> common use is as a tag or link. Use as an attribute can be deprecated
> and confusion with xml:lang avoided.

I'm a little confused by "not attributes of data structures". A simple
reading of that would be that they wouldn't be exchanged in protocols --
which are essentially data structures -- but I'm sure you didn't mean that.
Maybe you meant that "they should not be attributes of text in documents"?
(which I would agree to)

> 4. There was a lot of dicussion of supra- ("Latin America") and
> sub-national ("Kurdistan") locale requirements, as well as cross-locale
> preferences. ISO3166 will never help us here. I don't personally think
> it matters, but some folks are vociferous about it. The use of country
> as a form of locale identification (or language identification) is
> somewhat arbitrary.

Actually, I think there is some progress on that front; Michael Everson can
correct me if I am wrong, but I think they are adding some of the subras.

They have already, in some cases, subs, although they are not as
fine-grained as one might need in the slippery-slope cases (e.g. cities or
counties in the US, for calculating sales tax). And once again, I have
doubts as to whether the more detailed kind of information like counties
belongs in a "locale". It is clearly information that someone may need to
communicate, but it makes "locale" more of a kitchen sink.

Mark
(مرقص بن داود)
________
mark.davis at jtcsv.com
IBM, MS 50-2/B11, 5600 Cottle Rd, SJ CA 95193
(408) 256-3148
fax: (408) 256-0799