Updated! LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM : es-americas

Michael Everson everson@evertype.com
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 18:35:39 +0100

At 11:17 -0400 2002-09-05, John Cowan wrote:
>Peter_Constable@sil.org scripsit:
>
>>  You're looking for a contrast that can be expressed in terms of a
>>  linguistic feature such as a pronominal difference, or a phonological
>>  difference. If I understand correctly, it has more to do with lexica and
>>  semantic ranges denoted by lexical items. The content in question uses
>>  vocabulary that limited in ways that result in text that is acceptable
>>  throughout the Americas, but not necessarily elsewhere (a given text may
>>  happen to be acceptable elsewhere, but that is not guaranteed). I'm sure
>>  this has been explained already.
>
>Exactly so.

Ten examples. Months ago I gave examples of the different ways the
concept "bus" is expressed in all the countries involved. Proving
that there is no (necessary) lexical unity in "the Americas".

Come on, people. Facts have been requested.
--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com