Haitian

Håvard Hjulstad havard@hjulstad.com
Tue, 7 May 2002 21:53:13 +0200

As to the 50 documents rule: That does not have to be written documents, but
any documents that are or may be included and catalogued in a library
collection. Recordings of spoken material may be included, as long as it
makes sense to identify language in the catalogue.

Håvard Hjulstad

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-languages-admin@alvestrand.no
[mailto:ietf-languages-admin@alvestrand.no]On Behalf Of Pavla &OR
Francis Frazier
Sent: 7. mai 2002 19:39
To: ietf-languages@eikenes.alvestrand.no; Peter_Constable@sil.org
Subject: Re: Haitian

Hello again,

This entire discussion is certainly interesting.  My understanding
from previous understanding, what Peter's letter below states and what
is required on the form at the following site is: the actual
written-use of the language is one of the requirements for use by ISO.

http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/iso639-2form.html :
Evidence of sufficient number of documents to establish separate code
per ISO 639-2 Annex A A.2.1 (request by one agency with 50 documents
or five agencies with a total of 50 among them). Please cite name of
institution(s) where documents are held and number at each. Example:
Library of Congress (65) (Required)

This excludes many languages which are only spoken.  There are a few
dictionaries in some of the currently used American Indian and Alaska
Native languages I submitted, and a growing, but, to my knowledge,
small number, of organizations providing formal instruction with
written materials in some of the languages.  Otherwise, many of the
languages I submitted are not used in writing but they are used
orally.

Is there a possibility the ISO written document requirement can be
changed?  (I am not suggesting a change in the requirement for
references to the language.)  If the written document requirement can
not be changed, then IETF definitely is the way to standardize most,
if not many, of the languages I submitted.  The preference for
recorded language could be based, if not steeped, in many things-
philosophic and sociologic underpinnings and tradition not being the
least of these.  However, the history and tradition of northern Native
American is an oral one, *not* a written one.  There are at least a
few other oral-tradition-based languages.  This leads to the question:
Is the goal to standardize terms which reference languages *as used*
or is the goal a more normative one?

Thank you
Pavla

Pavla Frazier MSN MBA