Haitian

Pavla &OR Francis Frazier pfrazier9@earthlink.net
Tue, 7 May 2002 13:41:43 -0600

Dear John,

Thank you for this link.

You wrote "This is still bibliographic (broadly construed) in that it
requires that a sufficient number of
films or videos or sound recordings be in one or more libraries;
"mere" conversational use of the language is not enough to provide an
ISO tag for it."

Okay, so it looks like ISO is probably not the place for these names,
then.  ( Although the language names are those used by the Ethnologue*
and/or by Smithsonian's Handbook of North American Indians**, as
included in references in my original submission to IETF.  Although my
submission is, as stated before, a "hybrid" of these and based on
other cited resources as well, there are no names in my submission
which do not appear in these expert collections.)

*Ethnologue Languages of the World, Fourteenth Edition.Barbara F.
Grimes, Editor. Consulting Editors: Richard S. Pittman & Joseph E.
Grimes, 2000. SIL International
**Smithsonian's Handook of North American Indians. Smithsonian, 1996.
Sturtevant, William C. General editor; Ives Goddard, Volume Editor|
(Editor of Languages) (vol 17) The Smithsonian's Handbook of North
American Indians. Smithsonian, 1996.

You also wrote:
The RFC 3066 (IETF) process, OTOH, focuses on documents that
*define* the language, so that it is known, now and later, exactly
what language it is that's being tagged: given the existence
(by chance) of distinct languages with the same name, this
proviso is necessary.  The IETF process can also create tags for
language varieties (e.g. en-scouse is the Scouse dialect of
English spoken in Liverpool and environs), provided there is
some defining documentation, formal or informal.

I will have to confer with some HL7 folks, but, if I am understanding
you correctly, it appears that IETF would indeed be the best choice
for our purposes.  I appreciate your help.

Thanks again
Pavla