possible additions

Pavla &OR Francis Frazier pfrazier9@earthlink.net
Fri, 3 May 2002 07:54:50 -0600

Dear IETF Language list serve group,

ISO version 1 and 2 combined include 36 language names for American
Indian and Alaska Native languages, 9 of which are groupings.  These 9
groups map to 62 individual names in a set of currently used American
Indian and Alaska Native languages that I am proposing (see below).
There is one IETF i-tagged name mapping to my set.  There are a total
of 159 individual language names that I want to submit for your
consideration.  In this letter, I am showing the proposed names along
with the current ISO names for the convenience of seeing how the
proposed names fit in with ISO.

I am quite new to the norms of IETF and I hope that my unfamiliarity
with your process does not impede the purpose of my writing to you.  I
hope you will kindly excuse any thing not consistent with your normal
procedures.  I am quite grateful that you provide this excellent
service to all benefiting from it now and in the future.

 Per the request of Health Level Seven, I am submitting the attached
language names to the IETF for consideration for i-tagging with the
IETF standard for language names.  For background, Health Level Seven
(HL7) is an ISO approved standards organization which internationally
promotes effective communication of information related to health
care.  Although this work was originally intended for use by Health
Level Seven, for whom I, as a member, volunteered to do this, it could
be useful to others as well.  In addition to specifying the proposed
set of languages for IETF inclusion, the file also serves to clarify
the relationship between currently used American Indian and Native
Alaskan languages as represented in IETF, ISO and the proposed set.

Attached is a file, also copied below, but not in table format, based
on a comprehensive hierarchy I developed, which includes all currently
used U.S. North American Indian and Native Alaskan languages.  I would
be happy to send the complete hierarchy to anyone indicating an
interest in it.  The file attached is called:
SubmitTo_IETF_Comparison of proposed set with ISO.rtf
(Synonyms were removed for the purpose of IETF consideration.)

My questions for you: do I need to fill a separate form for each of
the 159 individual language names?  I was hoping to avoid filling out
a separate form for each of the proposed currently used 159 language
additions, but I certainly will do whatever the IETF needs.  I am
excited about the possibility of these languages getting into your
standard and I commend all of you on providing this service.  Also, is
there a way to include synonyms so that they can be recognized and
used as such?

The hierarchy of currently used American Indian / Alaska Native
languages, which the two attached tables draw from, contains a total
of 522 entries.  This represents 159 language names, 265 language
synonyms and 98 abstractions.  This was developed with the help of
communication with key people as follows and was also based on two
printed references.

The key people helping in determining whether or not a language is
currently used were: Ives Goddard, editor of the language volume of
The Smithsonian's Handbook of North American
Indians (1); and, Victor Gola, Secretary of The Society for the Study
of the Indigenous Languages of the Americas (2).  James McCain and
George Huggins, both of the Indian Health Service (IHS), also helped
in this matter (3).   (The Indian Health Service, a part of the US
Public Health Service, is under the Department of Health and Human
Services of the US.)  Additionally, Shelby Zwick of IHS and several
Health Level Seven members have helped in the project.  Also, last but
not least, Harald Alvestrand of the IETF has quite patiently fielded
my questions!  Thanks to all for your help.

The printed references used in creating the hierarchy are listed
below.  The hierarchy is mainly based on the Consensus Classification
of the Native Languages of North America (1) but with frequent
references to and clarification from the Ethnologue (4) as needed.
The hierarchy mainly uses language names as identified by the
Smithsonian work and, for the most part, uses synonyms from the
Ethnologue.  Dialects were not incorporated when possible.  (Dialects
& synonyms not distinguished in Smithsonian`s table.)

Thank you very much,
Pavla Frazier

1. Sturtevant, William C. General editor; Ives Goddard, Volume Editor
(Editor of Languages) (vol 17) The Smithsonian's Handbook of North
American Indians. Smithsonian, 1996. goddard.ives@nmnh.si.edu
2. Gola,Victor, Secretary The Society for the Study of the Indigenous
Languages of the Americas Box 555, Arcata, California 95518 USA.
golla@ssila.org
3. Huggins, George and McCain, James, Indian Health Service
 www.ihs.gov Huggins, George (ITSC Tucson)
George.Huggins@mail.ihs.gov  James.McCain@mail.ihs.gov
4. Ethnologue Languages of the World, Fourteenth Edition. Barbara F.
Grimes, Editor. Consulting Editors: Richard S. Pittman & Joseph E.
Grimes, 2000. SIL International
http://www.sil.org/ethnologue/countries/USA.html

A=abstract class name
C= name Proposed to Internet Engineering Task Force

Proposed additions are those names which have a "C" label from first
column.  The "A" coded abstract names are just a subset of all the
abstract names.  The abstract names appearing in this table remain
visible in order to show the relationship between this proposed set
of names and the language family names currently in ISO.  The language
names now in ISO appear immediately to the right of the name from
the proposed set.  The language families in ISO have "(languages)"
next
to the ISO name.  Also, some ISO names have "(collective)" adjacent.
While it is not necessary to replace the ISO language names with names
that I have, the family names and collective names should be
replaced with the separate language-family or -grouping member-names.

| | A Algonquian                           Algonquian (languages)
| | C   Blackfoot                           Siksika (Siksika is a
synonym,
                                                   the name Blackfoot
is more
                                                   commonly used)
| | C   Western Cree                     Cree
| | C   Gros Ventre
| | C   Arapaho                             Arapaho
| | C   Cheyenne                           Cheyenne
| | C   Menominee
| | C   Southern Ojibwa                 Ojibwa
| | C   Potawatami
| | C   Sauk-Fox
| | C   Kickapoo
| | C   Shawnee
| | C   Micmac  Micmac
| | C   Maliseet-Passamaquoddy
| | C   Eastern Abenaki
| | C   Western Abenaki
| | C   Unami Delaware                   Delaware (synonym)
| | C   Yurok
| | A Eskimoan                             Eskimo (Other) Although
                                                   still listed at
some sites,
                                                   this name is no
longer in
                                                   US Library of
Congress or
                                                   in ISO 639
| | A Sirenikski Yupik                    Yupik languages (now in US
                                                    Library of
Congress and in ISO 639)
> [...]
| | C   Cocopa
| | C   Washoe
| | A Iroquoian                             Iroquoian (languages)
| | C   Tuscarora
| | C   Seneca
| | C   Cayuga
| | C   Onondaga
| | C   Mohawk                            Mohawk
| | C   Oneida
| | C   Cherokee                           Cherokee
| | C   Acoma-Laguna
| | C   Rio Grande Keresan
| | C   Kiowa
| | C   Jemez
| | C   Northern Tiwa
| | C   Southern Tiwa
| | C   Tewa
| | C(&A)   Kootenai                    Kutenai (synonym)
| | C   Chickasaw
| | C   Choctaw                            Choctaw
| | C   Alabama
| | C   Mikasuki
| | C   Koasati
| | C   Creek                                 Creek
| | C   Tlingit                                 Tlingit
| | C   Eyak
| | A Athapaskan                           Athapascan (languages)
| | C   Ahtna
| | C   Tanaina
| | C   Degexit'an
| | C   Holikachuk
| | C   Koyukon
| | C   Upper Kuskokwim
| | C   Lower Tanana
| | C   Tanacross
| | C   Upper Tanana
| | C   Kutchin                              Gwich'in (synonym)
| | C   Han
| | C   Tututni
| | C   Tolowa
| | C   Hupa                                  Hupa
| | C   Cahto
| | A Apachean                             Apache (languages)
| | C   Dine
| | C   Western Apache
| | C   Mescalero-Chiricahua
| | C   Jicarilla
| | C   Lipan
| | C   Kiowa Apache
| | C   Kiksht
| | C   Hanis
| | C   Central Kalapuyan
| | C   Wintu-Nomlaki
| | C   Northeast Maidu
| | C   Northwest Maidu
| | C   Nisenan
| | C   Coast Miwok
| | C   Lake Miwok
| | C   Plains Miwok
| | C   Northern Sierra Miwok
| | C   Central Sierra Miwok
| | C   Southern Sierra Miwok
| | C   Gashowu
| | C   Tule-Kaweah
| | C   Kings River
| | C   Poso Creek
| | C   Klamath-Modoc
| | C   Tenino
| | C   Umatilla
| | C   Walla Walla
| | C   Yakima
| | C   Nez Perce
| | C   Coast Tsimshain             Tsimshian
| | A Pidgin                               Creoles and Pidgins (other)
                                               (collective)
| | C   Chinook Wawa               Chinook Jargon (synonym)
| | A Salishan                            Salishan Languages
| | C   Northern Straits
| | C   Clallam
| | C   Lushootseed
| | C   Quinalt
| | C   Lower Chehalis
| | C   Upper Chehalis
| | C   Cowlitz
| | C   Kalispel
| | C   Coeur D'alene
| | C   Columbian
| | C   Okanagan
| | A Siouan                              Siouan (languages)
| | C   Hidatsa
| | C   Crow
| | C   Mandan
| | C   Lakota
| | C   Dakota                            Dakota
| | C   Assiniboine
| | C   Omaha-Ponca
| | C   Osage                             Osage
| | C   Kansa
| | C   Quapaw
| | C   Chiwere
| | C   Hocak
| | C   Mono
| | C   Northern Paiute-Bannock
| | C   Panamint
| | C   Shoshone
| | C   Comanche
| | C   Kawaiisu
| | C   Ute-Southern Paiute
| | C   Tubatululabal
| | C   Serrano
| | C   Cahuilla
| | C   Cupeno
| | C   Luiseno
| | C   Hopi
| | C   Papago-Pima
| | C   Yaqui
| | C(&A)    Yuchi
| | A Wakashan                        Wakashan Languages
| | C   Makah
| | C   Yuki
| | C   Wappo
| | C(&A)    Zuni                      Zuni
| |
Also for consideration for IETF:
PLAINS INDIAN SIGN LANGUAGE

 Resources

| 1. Sturtevant, William C. General editor; Ives Goddard, Volume
Editor
| (Editor of Languages) (vol 17) The Smithsonian's Handbook of North
| American Indians. Smithsonian, 1996.   goddard.ives@nmnh.si.edu
| 2. Gola,Victor, Secretary The Society for the Study of the
Indigenous
| Languages of the Americas Box 555, Arcata, California 95518 USA.
| golla@ssila.org
| 3. Huggins, George and McCain, James, Indian Health Service
| www.ihs.gov George.Huggins@mail.ihs.gov James.McCain@mail.ihs.gov
| 4. Ethnologue Languages of the World, Fourteenth Edition.Barbara F.
| Grimes, Editor. Consulting Editors: Richard S. Pittman & Joseph E.
| Grimes, 2000. SIL International

Other resources used:

http://www.wu-wien.ac.at:8082/rfc/rfc1766.hyx/rfc1766.3_b2._bThe_bLang
| uage_btag
| RFC 1766: Tag ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1766.txt
| Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no

| IETF & IANA (Internet Numbers Assigned Authority):
| http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-tag-apps.htm

 Pavla A. Frazier MSN MBA
Medical Informatics student
University of Utah