[OT beyond any repair] House numbers

Werner LEMBERG wl@gnu.org
Sat, 02 Mar 2002 02:56:33 +0100 (CET)

> I am curious whether another "rule" valid in Italy also applies in
> other countries: here the numbering always starts on the end of the
> road which is nearer to the center. When visiting Italian cities, I
> know whether I am walking towards the suburbs or towards the center
> by the looking whether house numbers increase or decrease.

AFAIK, this is a Viennese invention, a bit more than 100 years old
(after removal of the city wall which is now known as the
`Ringstra=DFe').  An additional rule is that streets which are
circle-like around the center of a town are started at the `left' (if
viewed from the center), i.e. clock-wise.

    Werner