ISO 3166 (country codes) Maintenance Agency Web pages move

Mark Davis Mark Davis" <mark@macchiato.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:53:05 -0800

Of course, any change causes problems. However, they can minimize the
problems if -- at a minimum -- they adopt a permanent, public policy
that:

  a) Once established, a country code will never be reused to
designate a different country.
  b) If a country code is changed, the old code will remain as an
alias, permanently.

That way, even if they continue the policy of changing names at whim,
without regard for the consequences of their actions and the worldwide
dependencies on stable country codes, at least old data is never
invalidated.

Mark

(The same goes for language codes, of course.)
—————

Γνῶθι σαυτόν — Θαλῆς
[For transliteration, see http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/tr]

http://www.macchiato.com