xx-XX-nnnn vs. xx-nnnn in Chinese and German

Martin Duerst duerst@w3.org
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:15:58 +0900

At 21:57 02/02/13 +0100, Torsten Bronger wrote:

>Mmmh... what's wrong with the "canonical" approach?
>
>             Language   Subform   Orthography
>de           German       ?           ?
>de-DE        German    Germany        ?
>de-AT        German    Austria        ?
>de-DE-1996   German    Germany      "new"
>de-AT-1996   German    Austria      "new"
>de-DE-1901   German    Germany      "old"
>de-AT-1901   German    Austria      "old"
>de-1996      German       ?         "new"
>de-1901      German       ?         "new"

Can we please make sure that we add to this:

de-CH          German    Switzerland    ?
de-CH-1996     German    Switzerland   "new"
de-CH-1901     German    Switzerland   "old"

As I said before, de-CH is usualy used for the variant
of standard German used in Switzerland (books, newspapers,...).
There are lots of dialects in Switzerland, collectively referred
to as Schwitzertu"tsch, but there are many dialects in Germany
and Austria, too. Written German as used in Switzerland is also
defined by Duden.

Regards,    Martin.