Proposal: Language code "de-DE-trad"

Peter_Constable@sil.org Peter_Constable@sil.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:44:48 -0600

On 02/11/2002 09:48:03 AM Havard Hjulstad wrote:

>You obviously have some very good points. It will be extremely difficult
>determine in each case which form is the "default" form. I may very well
be
>wrong in some of my statements concerning German. I tried, however, to
look
>at the principles. I think these principles may be applicable for very
many
>languages.

I agree with Havard's comments. German may not have been the best example
to illustrate a principle, but it was handy since it is in the context of
discussing German that this arose. We should base principles on the clear
and general cases and not on the edge cases. As for edge cases, they will
always be with us, and we need to resolve how to deal with them, but we
shouldn't allow them to keep us from adopting good principles that will
serve many other situations well.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>