Here comes the Yiddish

Peter_Constable@sil.org Peter_Constable@sil.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:19:38 -0600

On 12/11/2002 10:59:51 AM Martin Duerst wrote:

I completely agree with all of Martin's comments.

>Given that a script distinction is very rarely needed,
>and given the difficulties we already have with existing mechanisms
>(how many documents on the web e.g. use xml:lang?) creating new
>headers/tags/attributes is just not the way to go.

This is a big reason why I favour merging writing system / orthography
distinctions with language distinctions in RFC 3066 tags. We can talk about
doing it another way, but I have a lot of doubts that we'd see any
implementations. That plus the fact that orthography issues are *already*
being dealt with using RFC 3066 tags.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485